JCC SUMMER DAY CAMPS HAVE SERVED THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN SINCE 1931
In 1931, the YMHA of Scranton (now known as the JCC) formulated and began running a summer day camp program at its facility on Wyoming Avenue. In 1953, thanks to the generosity of Jacob Fink, the JCC Day Camp moved outdoors for the first time as it was given use of a tract of land at Chapman Lake. It began a truly grand summer for more than 200 campers enrolled. In 1962, the JCC of Scranton acquired land in the Poconos in rural Daleville, PA, and began a project over five years to build new summer camp facilities. The 101-acre Daleville camp site opened its doors in the summer of 1965 with over 300 campers. Longtime and current JCC member Dan Ginsberg served as its first Director. In 2005, the campsite was sold to new owners with the condition that the JCC could continue to run its day camp on the property in perpetuity. The JCC of Scranton is now in its 83th summer in providing camping services, and it’s the 50th anniversary of running our summer day camp program at the Daleville property. JCC Camp Daleville continues to serve an average of 200 campers a summer.